Blocks and Stripes Quilt – Completed!

Phew! That was a lot of sewing in a short amount of time. This was my first attempt at free motion quilting, and I love the way it turned out. I won’t say it wasn’t difficult, because it was, but it was worth it. I imagine it will become easier with more practice. I have to figure out a better way to sit and maneuver the quilt though – I ended up with a really sore right arm, so I must be doing something wrong (I’ve never heard anyone complain about sore muscles from quilting…)

Here it is fresh from the dryer -

This quilt used random sized squares and rectangles framed with stripes of fabric. It incorporates a lot of my favorite fabrics (all leftover scraps!), and a variety of designers. Since I’m loving orange, and since many of the fabrics used on the top had some orange in them, I opted for the Amy Butler Full Moon Polka Dot in Tangerine for the binding. I think it gives it a fun look, and a change from the browns I’ve been using for other bindings.

The back is predominately white, with one section similar to the front, though made with smaller blocks.

This one measures about 60″ x 48″, so it’s a bit bigger than the other two I’ve completed.

Love that crinkly look!

You can bet I’ll be laying under this one on the couch tonight!

This entry was posted in 2008 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Blocks and Stripes Quilt – Completed!

Carrie says:

Saw your quilt on flickr and it’s such a pretty way to show off the fabrics! Free motion does get easier as you practice. Did you try it with gripping gloves? They should keep your arms from hurting. I just use plain yellow dish gloves – they get hot, but work sufficiently. There are gloves just for quilting too.

Beth says:

What a great quilt! I’m a fellow Vermont quilter! I love finding new Vermont quilters! I too love laying under the quilt and using it before giving it up!

Handmaiden says:

you have done a great job, all the aches are worth it….you will be onto yr next soon

Amy says:

They just keep getting better and better! It’s stunning. What kind of machine do you use? I don’t think I could fit a quilt of that size comfortably in my machine. Great job!

Alissa says:

It’s so so beautiful!! Don’t you feel like you’ll free motion everything now?!? it’s an addiction! And I definitely get soar from quilting. I get up a lot and take lots of breaks – otherwise I’ll suddenly realize my whole upper body is completely tense and in pain. Anyhow – great great quilt!

Jessica says:

This quilt is awesome~~ I love that you used scraps of your favorite fabrics.
    thanks for the inspiration.

I love it. More and more I’m gravitating towards a lot of white in my own quilts. I just love that fresh look and the way it highlights the special colorful fabrics chosen. Love the free motion quilting.

Jody says:

I love it! It’s absolutely beautiful.

Your quilt looks great! And my arms/shoulders have been sore after quilting a few times – it’s just really random muscles :)

amandajean says:

this is fabulous! all your quilts are!!!

the free motion quilting does get easier. for me, after several years, it has become one of my favorite parts of quilting. that post washed and dried crinkly look is the best!

Heather says:

This is such a cool quilt! I am inspired to make a baby quilt based on this one. I’ll share it with you when it’s done!

12. Pingback: Quiltsplosion 2008 | Croq Zine - The Blog