I finished a quilt!

It’s done! and it really is wonderful!

This is my first completed quilt, and I really couldn’t be happier.

Since I still haven’t practiced any free motion quilting, I opted to quilt this one following the seams of the zig zags. I sewed a zig zag on either side of each seam and it created a nice look, especially on the back.

Did I mention that I love how this one turned out? Will you call me crazy if I tell you I’ve been walking around the house with it? I don’t know what it is, but I really like looking at it. Hopefully it’s just that it’s my first quilt, and not that I’m a crazy person!

In any case, despite this being baby quilt size, I’ve decided it’s big enough to cover most of me when I’m laying on the couch. Originally I thought it might be one I use as a gift, but now I think it’s destined to remain here with me. I can’t give away my first quilt, right?

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me and provided helpful resources!

This entry was posted in 2008 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, Uncategorized, [search] Zig Zag Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to I finished a quilt!

evensweeter says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!! Okay, I promise to have a baby now. It’ll be worth it, just to get my hands on one of these.

Congratulations on your first completed quilt!

That will be perfect as a lap quilt for movie watching and reading. Congrats! FYI, I gave away my second quilt, not my first. Just something about it. lol. Great job!

lindy says:

You did it … and did it well! Congratulations on a finishing! It’s quite beautiful and a perfect fall keeper. I think I’ll have to come to your house for some inspiration to rub off on me.

Alissa says:

Yay!!! You did it! And it’s BEAUTIFUL!!! I really love it. I’d imagine that now you’re going to be eager to get all your other pretty quilt tops put together into quilts. There’s nothing like pulling a new quilt out of the dryer after it’s first wash – all crinkly and warm. And I should add, there’s NOTHING crazy about carrying it around the house. Sometimes a quilt needs full-time gazing.

Terriaw says:

This quilt really IS wonderful! I love it so much, I want to make one exactly like it. Great job with the colors AND the quilting. Yippee!

mishi2x says:

It is perfect!! Perfect fabric with the perfect pattern and the perfect size. Love it!

Kim says:

Congrats! It is BEAUTIFUL! I love the fall colors. And the fence photography. Rockin’.

Bronwyn says:

Ditto from me too! I love the way simple squares turn into triangle turn into zigzag – well done.

Betty says:

Fabulous! I love it. The fabrics are super for this pattern nice choice

Handmaiden says:

its turned out really well and the fabrics work really well

Sandy says:

Found your blog because of this quilt! It is beautiful. You are on my reader now. Can’t wait to see the next creation.

nettie says:

I LOVE the colors you used on this quilt!

Congrats! I know just how gratifying that feels. I never want to put mine down either.

The colors are just gorgeous with a very vintage feel. My favorite blanket growing up was crocheted, but in this same kind of zig zag pattern, so it makes me smile.

RobinH says:

I can totally understand walking around with it- it’s *gorgeous*! You’ve got a great sense for color- your fabrics are terrific. And I really like the crib/couch size for quilts- bed size ones are often too unwieldy for use on the couch.

It looks great! The colors are so nice and I have walked around with a few quilts! I’m glad you are keeping your first finish – I think that’s how it should be :)

It seems your posts weren’t loading into bloglines for me – ack :(

16. Pingback: » It’s not early in the week, but it is finished! » fabric and photos

17. Pingback: Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog » » Create & Celebrate

Hedgehog says:

What a great quilt! Congrats! Love that fish fabric!

Dawn says:

I love the colors and pattern. It’s beautiful!

Euphoria says:

Hi there!

I’m interested in making a zig zag quilt myself… what size is your quilt and where did you get the pattern?

23. Pingback: » a baby neapolitan quilt » fabric and photos

Rae says:

Yeah I love this quilt so much — but maybe you already knew that since I already “stole” a picture of it for my zig-zag flickr mosaic a few weeks ago. (:

25. Pingback: Ta Da! « Terri’s Notebook

26. Pingback: Modern Quilts - flea market fancy star quilt… for you! – Film In The Fridge

...dotty... says:

Hard to believe that your first quilt was finished just over a year ago………you probably announced your anniversary, but I missed it. Anyhow, Happy Anniversary and congratulations on your proficiency you’ve developed in this one year !
    And thank you for sharing your journey, AND YOUR QUILTS.