An Amy Butler Birdie Sling bag

Let me start out by reminding you all of my issues with patterns. I don’t know what it is – refusal to follow directions, perhaps an inability to follow directions, or maybe it’s just that I’m cheap (let’s call it frugal, shall we?) and can’t justify paying for a pattern.

In any case, it makes me wonder why I agreed to make this bag for my friend Amy. (perhaps I should have warned her about these issues before agreeing to it!)

She did pay for the fabric and pattern, so I couldn’t use that as an excuse, and I figured I could try to follow the pattern directions as written. And I’m pleased to say that I did it!

I used all the materials they suggested (well, with the exception of a turning tool and pressing cloth) and I followed the directions, and you know what? It came out just as pictured (imagine that!). I do admit to not following the pattern in the exact order though… baby steps…

After a lot of debating, Amy selected some lovely Amy Butler Lacework in Gray with coordinating Amy Butler Full Moon Polka Dots in Slate. Rather than complicate things by having to select a different lining fabric, we went with the Lacework on the interior as well.

And I finally got to use one of my new labels!

Luckily we had seen one of these completed bags in person, so we already knew the finished size. Otherwise, I’d probably be shocked – it’s huge! You could fit a ton of stuff in here. If I attempted this one again, I might try to make some modifications to the pattern to shrink it down a bit.

All in all, a good experience. It even makes me think I might be able to tackle other patterns…

Amy, I hope you love it! I can’t guarantee when I’ll be getting to the post office to mail it out to you, but until then, you can just look at these pictures and think about how you’re going to fill it!

This entry was posted in Household Goods and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to An Amy Butler Birdie Sling bag

Terriaw says:

I have heard a lot of people say this bag is huge, which is good to know. Looks like you did a really great job making yours. I love the new labels too.

Amy says:

It looks great! I love mine – use it every day. It fits diapers, wallet, snickers bar (don’t tell my husband) whatever. I like it big but I would make the pockets shorter next time. I’m sure Amy will love it. Good job!

Handmaiden says:

u did a great job, I have just started making mine. I have found the instuctions ask u to buy too much fabric. I bought 1 and 1/2 yards of easch instead of 1 and 1/8 and I have been able to cut out 2!!
    sharon

Crazy Creek says:

Great job on the bag! I wish I had this pattern or a friend to buy it for me. :-D

malaka says:

Hi thanks for blogging this! Found it through flickr. My sister wants me to make her this bag, but I’m like you — terrible with patterns. I’m scared to agree to it. Although I’m a bag maker, II really can’t stand following patterns.

kathy says:

I totally agree on the size! Most of the reviews on pattern review mentioned it was big but goodness, I didn’t realize HOW BIG until I finished it. LOVE the fabrics on the bag. The lace print is one of my all time Amy Butler favorites. I’m sure your friend was thrilled with it.

rachael says:

Where can I purchase the pattern for this bag? I haven’t been able to find Amy Butler patterns locally (we have JoAnn Fabrics and Hobby Lobby). Thanks!

rachael says:

Also, where do you buy your fabrics? Do you know of a good online site?

Deb says:

Would you make this bag for someone else? I’m dying for one but have NO patience to make it. I would be VERY interested! Price it!

Deb in AZ says:

So glad I stumbled across your entry about the bag since I put the pattern aside after reading negative reviews. (All said the directions were hard to follow and sewing was difficult). Now I am ready to try the bag using less expensive decorator fabrics from WallyWorld- but still pretty fabrics! :)
    PS: Bought my pattern on ebay for $9 with free ship.

Emma says:

Hi, just wondered if you have tried reducing the pattern size and if so, how it turned out?
    By the way, I LOVE your fabric choice for the sling!

Dorothy Philmon says:

How do I get the pattern fo the Amy Butler Birdie Sling bag?

• 13
      admin says:

Dorothy – You have to purchase the pattern – you can probably find a copy at your local sewing store if they sell Amy Butler fabrics, or you can buy it online.

Toby says:

I have the pattern just haven’t made it yet. You want to see HUGE try the new Field Bag .. I’ve made two of her Frenchy Bags and they are terrific .. people said they are huge but I didn’t find them that big .. you can find shops that carry her patterns on her site, or just google, Etsy people have them, Ebay.

Pam says:

This is the FIRST sewing project I’ve ever attempted and it came out fantastic. I started it without a sewing machine and soon realized that I’d never finish it without one (thats how inexperienced I am)! Once I had the machine it was finished in a matter of hours. It’s huge and will make an excellent diaper bag! If I can do it, anyone can.

Julie says:

I made mine after looking at the pattern for over a year – I love it and have 2 more planned. Next one I make is for a friend of mine, then onto another for myself. It is big, but it is a totebag afterall! Everyone who has seen it loves it.

Jena says:

if you think the purse is too big, try reducing the pattern to about 90% or 95% on a copier. I’m petite and the 90% is perfect for me.

• 18
      Donna says:

Just bought the pattern and fabric. I am planing on using the bag as a carry on for the airplane. Should fit all the stuff I want to take with me. I am a little confused about the fusable fleese, some say you don’t need to use so much. What are your thoughts?

Jennifer says:

I’ve now made 5 of these bags out of various fabric. I love how big it is, but I was just thinking the other day how I could make it a little bit smaller. I love making it out of IKEA light weight canvas. It adds a modern flare and money wise can help.

I’ll be working on re-sizing.