A finished block quilt top

Excuse me if I squeal in delight – it’s my first finished quilt top, and I’m quite excited with how it’s looking! I have to admit that I wasn’t sure I’d ever get to this point…

Last night I finished sewing the strips, and then cut the long white strips for between the strips of blocks. It was difficult work, made more difficult due to my issues with straight lines, a 12″ cutting mat and a short ruler!

After sewing it all together, I did notice that some of my blocks were obviously not the same size to begin with – the bottom edge doesn’t line up quite as I’d hope, and it’s really fairly obvious. I’m going to ignore it though, and just hope that every one else will as well. It’s destined to be a blanket for the couch anyway.

I started working on the back – decided to do smaller versions of the blocks from the front. I’ve cut them to 4″ blocks and plan to do one strip of them off-centered on the back side. We’ll see…

Now it’s off to the store – I’m completely out of thread!

Wish me luck on the next stage of this quilt – I can only imagine it gets harder from here on out!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A finished block quilt top

Amy Hodge says:

Good luck!! I think this looks awesome, and no one will ever notice any little weirdnesses. They’ll love it! Getting through the first one is such a great accomplishment! You go girl!

Alissa says:

You know – the first time is a bit hard, but really, it’s not harder from here! it’s FUN! And it makes the quilt top even prettier to have all the lovely stitching all over it!

I think it looks great! I have a Japanese inspired quilt that was looking too busy. I might take your idea and put long strips of single colors in-between the long strips of pattern.

It looks great! I’ve had lots of trouble running out of thread too – now I stock up whenever I have the chance. I like your idea for the back, it should be fun. Enjoy!

jennifer says:

i like aurifil (aurafil? sp?) thread. the spools are large enough that you have plenty of thread to piece, quilt, and bind a bed-sized quilt. also, it’s high quality. you should be able to find it at your local quilt shop.

lookin good!

Teresa says:

The quilt is absolutely beautiful! I am looking for a new quilt project to start…and this one just might be it!

Amy says:

Just beautiful. Great work! I can’t wait to see the back.

Betty says:

Looks absolutely amazing! Way to keep going. I love the pattern you choose too

Sonia says:

looks great! I love making the top part…but the binding…yikes!

Kim says:

That is one gorgeous quilt! Wow. Very impressive!

Jennifer says: